Skip To Main Content

Staff Resources

Certification Information

Certificated Staff

Renewing Your Certificate

Washington State certificates are renewed through the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). Your renewal paperwork must be postmarked or submitted online by the expiration date listed on your certificate. OSPI will send your new or renewed certificate directly to you; you are responsible for providing a copy to the Human Resources department.
OSPI receives thousands of applications a year and does become backlogged during the summer months. To ensure enough time for processing, it is advisable to submit your application for renewal as soon as you have completed all the requirements. You must have a copy of a valid Washington State certificate on file with the HR department to be able to report for work. Some renewal applications require a verification of experience form to be signed by a district representative; please send to Human Resources. The form will be returned to you when completed.

Steps for submitting your application to OSPI

  1. Choose the appropriate link below to access OSPI’s website.
  2. Select the certificate that you CURRENTLY hold from the list.
  3. Read through the Requirements to ensure you have selected the correct renewal page.
  4. If you are applying for your initial Washington State Certification, Renewing your current Certification, or adding endorsements to your current certification, log in or create an account in the EDS system and complete the online Application.  
  5. After you receive your certificate, please provide your Human Resources office with a copy.

The following links will assist you in finding the appropriate paperwork

OSPI Contact Information
Phone: (360) 725-6400
Fax: (360) 586-0145
Visit the OSPI Website

Paraeducator Staff

Minimum employment requirements

Beginning with the school year 2019-20, all employed paraeducators must meet the following minimum employment requirements:

  • Be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent (for more detailed information on what is considered equivalent, please read the FAQ (document)

In addition, a paraeducator must meet one of the following:

  1. Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment
  2. Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university
  3. Have earned 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university
  4. Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council*

ParaPro test information

The ETS ParaPro assesses knowledge and skills in reading, writing, math, and assisting classroom instruction. Test takers have 2.5 hours to finish the assessment, and they must meet or exceed Washington’s qualifying score of 461.

  • For more information on resources like practice tests and study guides, visit the ETS ParaPro website.
  • View a list of testing centers
  • Beginning February 2, 2021, you can take the ParaPro assessment remotely from your own computer at home or another secure location. Learn more.

Paraeducator Certificate

Paraeducators, once employed, will work towards their OSPI Paraeducator Certification.  Learn more.


* This apprenticeship is a professional development program for classified employees in the state of Washington focused on paraeducators who are interested in obtaining an Associate’s Degree. For more information on the Paraeducator Apprenticeship program, please visit Washington State Apprenticeships in Public Education